Tuesday, May 8, 2018

The Lynch Meditations 18: Premonitions Following An Evil Deed (1995)

This one's like a rogue transmission from an unauthorized future. Made me think of the eerie future dreams from John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness just a little bit. Seems to be riffing on the paranoia induced by the presence of uniformed police assets, deadly secrets concealed by cheery home facades, and grotesque alien abduction scenarios. It's so short that it's easy to watch over and over again and pick it apart, but I almost think it should be seen once, and then never watched again, except within one's memory where it will be inevitably distorted, expanded, and transformed into some other wholly unauthorized thing. Kinda like how the creator of the Super Nintendo game Earthbound supposedly saw a scary scene from an obscure old film as a child and then spent a lifetime haunted by a memory of that scene which he had wholly concocted within his imagination.

Say . . . is it copyright infringement if I intentionally choose to distort someone's film within my imagination, and put together my own fan-edit/remix of a film inside my brain studio? I sure hope not.

But if it is . . . think about how exciting it would be to live in such a dystopian future where copyright lawyers become ultra-tech brain-vivisectionists to cut out and destroy unauthorized "Brain Cuts" of films.

Holy shit . . . I want to be on the run in such a hellish future. I could have elaborate martial arts battles with all the copyright lawyer brain-vivisectionists. A dystopian hellscape fugitive routine is also good cardio.

But, um, as for Premonitions Following An Evil Deed . . . it's a sharp little nightmare of stylish black-and-white micro-cinema. Dig on it to the max!

NEXT: 6/1/18: Lost Highway (1997)