Sunday, October 3, 2021

EVERY DAY IS HALLOWEEN #17: DAD BODY.


Straylow

Superflat Killing Machine

conflicted enforcer of the Unitary Combine

hero and villain of twenty-seven novels of the N.E.O.C. Expanded Universe


Contemplate this empty suit of armor taking up too much space in my home office:

Straylow’s official battle gear

complete with articulated display stand and an engraved certificate of authenticity

evokes the antihero in full: mirrored, opaque, cyclopean, obsessive

disintegrator rifle slung over one shoulder,

exiled from a vast body of myth by corporate-marketing department schemes


Well, comrades,

Straylow’s mine, now!


Behold Straylow

this is my Dad Body

a vehicle of fantasy

now I’m the twilight agent playing both sides against the middle

cosplay vengeance upon all the hours given up to building the network,

paying the mortgage,

vaping medicinals to damp down the anxiety, stress, back pain,

having to hide my medicinal use from mom, when she and dad are staying over

awkward discussions with Katie about how we explain the medicinals to Alyssa and Doug Jr.

'cause they savvy that Daddy's a stoner

and there's still enough ambient druggie shame in the culture 


in the house that I pay for


of course I should be ashamed,

the medicinals,

the $5,000 and change I dropped at Excelsior Con to win the Straylow armor away from an aggressive bidder,

believe the shame,

the shame’s more real than any fantasy or reality 

canon or no,


hey:

maybe

some higher corporate power

like

Nick

my boss at Network Analytico

will de-canonize my mother’s disapproval,

Katie’s, too. 

Pray to your Boss for salvation. 

A very old routine.


Stray has no place in the New Mythos.

I’m not supposed to believe in him.

But I do.

I’ll dwell in my own head-canon for all time. 


Dream of a vigorous prostate exam

Wherein

I am besieged by assassins

As I blaze away with my Unitary Combine Custom Disintegrator 

The doctor begins to vigorously work my prostate 

"You've got to open yourself, Doug," the doctor urgently intones, "let me be your spotter."

Mind's eye gives me a glimpse of my prostate being massage-molded into a shape very like a Playstation One controller

Oh, yes

It's a two-hander

I'm stretched wide

Open to cosmic possibilities 

Painful

But every blast's a headshot 

Once I give myself over

To the Doctor Inside

Worth it.


The guy who sold the armor to me

made a decent supplemental income

wearing the armor at parties and cons

‘til Protean Obligate Film Holdings shut down the Extended Universe

mailed actual dead tree cease and desist letters

lockdown of the mythos

the fanscape laid to waste by legal decree

all in the name

of making piles and piles of cash

off a simplified soft reboot

complete with a new Expanded Universe displacing the original EU

adieu antiheroes 

later for shades-of-gray

some shareholder putz said his brat didn't understand why Straylow had to nuke the planet in order to save it 


Comes a vision

I'm navigating the twisty, cyberpunky corridors of the third iteration of the Straylow first person shooter sub-franchise, when I catch a glittering glimpse of a figure racing around a corner-

I'm zooming, now, enemies autodestructing, giving up the bit as I abandon the vanilla game for godmode urgency 

Catching up

I see I've been chasing myself-a doppelganged Straylow, like holy shit-

He's filling my vision

Hand outstretched

That asshole pain throbs bright and clear, red lines shooting through my helmet heads-up display,

Usually the visual signifier of in-game damage to hit points

But now the game groks my hemorrhoids 

Doppel-Stray makes a plucking gesture with his fingers

My asshole throbs in time to the pluck-panto 

Sure I sit too much

Now my hero's looking out for me,

I guess

Scared Straight For Hemorrhoids 

Gotta get myself to a gym

Or Stray shall telekinetically pluck that swollen vein

Yikes

But also

Thanks.


Now I wear the armor in defiance, 

put on the Straylow self

Wear it to parties and cons and protests


Stray dreams intensify

Stray teaches me The Music of the Hemorrhoids 

Which can raise the dead

I'm plucking my own swollen vein, now.


Yes, there are protests

Never protested a war

or our current authoritarian-in-chief


Resurrecting all the de-canonized fodder

I'll have the complete set

As long as I keep plucking that string


but now I’ll make my stand

for the proper shape of the mythos within my heart-canon-


Eerie is The Music of the Hemorrhoids 

Blurs reality and dream

The living and the dead

Canon and excluded

Straylow,

the Twilight Operator,

And I,

His sacred Hemorrhoid Minstrel-


At home

At last

In the world of my own plucking.

-May 2014-October 2021