Friday, May 26, 2023

PHOTO #2:

 

This one's a photo I never took. 


A photo of a book trilogy box set with a mismatched volume out of three.


I was in a Goodwill in Florida. I'm looking at the books. I see a box set of three Tom Clancy "superthrillers" in mass market paperback form. It was supposed to consist of The Cardinal of the Kremlin, Red Storm Rising, and Without Remorse. Except someone had replaced The Cardinal of the Kremlin with a mass market paperback edition of The Starr Report


I guffawed. 


Here was the vengeful dreamlife of the embittered Republican faithful laid bare. 


"If only we had a real life John Clark during Whitewater! We coulda cleaned house!!!"


Alas, heroic avengers never seem to escape the page, do they?


I didn't take the picture, but I've dined out on the anecdote.