Tuesday, October 3, 2023

THE NEW DREAM #19:

 

this one

was one of those movie mix up dreams

where I watch a movie

and then I remix the movie

in my dreams

this particular movie dream remix-em-up

has to do

with my fandom

of Leaving Las Vegas

a tragedy about an alcoholic who decides to intentionally drink himself to death

starring Nicolas Cage as the alcoholic and Elisabeth Shue as a sex worker hired by the alcoholic not for sex but to keep him company in his final days

the fatal moment comes

when the alcoholic tells the sex worker that she can never ask him to stop drinking

and she agrees to this

well

in my mixed up dream version

the movie is titled Leaving Castle Vegas

which is about a man who can't stop buying castles who decides to intentionally buy castles until he's buried beneath a bunch of castles

and this guy hires a sex worker not for sex but to keep him company as he buys a fuckton of castles

the fatal moment comes

when the castle buying addict tells the sex worker that she can never ask him to stop buying castles

and she agrees to this

well

it all ends up

where there's this huge fucking hole that gets dug in the ground

okay

into which

a vast number of purchased castles are deposited

and

well

needless to say

it's not as good as Leaving Las Vegas

but definitely some interesting visuals

I'll give it that

it's just kinda

I dunno

like the guy's trying to destroy himself with the castles

but when the castles are being dropped from above

he just keeps moving out of the way

at first

it seems like a twist

maybe there's hope

maybe he wants to live

but then it gets super repetitious

lotta castle dropping

lotta running to get clear of being squashed

and then

uh

like

there's so many castles getting dropped into that big hole in the ground

that it fills up

but the guy can't stop buying castles

so castles keep getting dropped

but now the hole in the ground is all filled up

so now you got castles spilling all over the place

a real "castle overflow" type of situation

the castle buying addict and the sex worker more or less vanish from the narrative

it's just castle dropping, castle piling

one presumes that the castle purchasing phase is totally automated

but that's strictly my own head canon

but then there's this one two shot

of the castle buying addict and the sex worker looking upwards at a castle tumbling down the side of this gigantic mountain of piled castles

and they just look totally resigned to their situation

I dunno

it seems very well intentioned

but it lacks the pathos of the original

and there was no indication

that the process

of castle buying, castle dropping, and dropped castle evasion

was ever going to end

which

I dunno

struck me as rather hellish

perhaps Leaving Castle Vegas was laying down a "We are all condemned to live" kinda trip

which is interesting, I guess

but overall I would say my dream life let me down on this one

usually

my dream remixes of movies I watch are far superior to the originals

-like that all Playboy Bunny version of 12 Angry Men, or The Odd Couple starring Audie Murphy and Che Guevara, or even that version of Oldboy where it's just the hallway brawl for two hours, or that version of Citizen Kane where it's just Kane breaking shit in all the rooms of Xanadu for two hours-

but this one was a total pile-up

can't win 'em all

even in my dreams