Friday, April 12, 2024

THE NEW DREAM #26:


At some kind of gallery night


In some kind of gallery


I’m talking to Edmund the Bastard


The guy from King Lear


I tell him how much I loved his line about shadows standing up for bastards


He says, “I didn’t call upon shadows. I called upon the gods. You’ve got me confused with that Macbeth fella. He called upon shadows. And we all know how well it worked out for him.”


I stand corrected


But then it hits me


Edmund seems to be aware of Macbeth’s bad end but not his own


So I take that as my cue


To try to get him to buy into a timeshare hustle


And that’s when I realized


That I wasn’t even myself


In the new dream


But I had taken on the role of that one dude from years back who used to host that poetry open mic


And then I stopped going to that poetry open mic


But then I later heard that the host guy used to use the open mic to cultivate marks for a timeshare scam


The host guy was never about the poetry


Yet his life was a True American Epic


Poetry

Cloaking

A money grubbing scam


Edmund seems intrigued


My pitch is strong


But I don’t remember if I sealed the deal


Things trailed off


Or I woke up


I’m not entirely sure