Thursday, November 23, 2023

THEME MUSIC FOR EVERYTHING #5:

 

Theme of Hallucinatory Glory: Accretion Disk by Masaharu Iwata, Hitoshi Sakimoto, and Hayato Matsuo (Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen SNES OST)


Accretion Disk is my favorite from the Ogre Battle SNES OST, but, honestly, I could just as well pick the entire soundtrack. Accretion Disk has this driving, martial surrealism to it that goes well beyond the gameplay experience. This is the music you hear when you believe you can lead an army to a metaphysical victory so perfect it will negate the very concept of warfare from the collective consciousness of sentient beings. 


For years, I’ve played Ogre Battle just to listen to its music. I’m not good at the game. I only know how to beat it as a ruthless force of destruction and therefore end as a bloodthirsty tyrant. All of the other nuances and endings elude me. Sure, there’s FAQs and walkthroughs that delineate every other possible step-I just don’t have the patience to learn any other way. And I can just watch the other endings on YouTube. Or just listen to the music.