Wednesday, January 11, 2023

THE NEW DREAM #9:


I'm shouting

I don't need to shout

but I'm shouting


my voice is electronically amplified across a people sea of extras in stylized ancient times garb-a mishmash of European RenFair medievalism and Dungeons and Dragons and the Roman dudes in metal skirts and post-apocalyptic barbarians tricked out in animal hides'n'sports padding

-post-apocalypse can be grouped in with ancient times stuff, right? hey, cliches just feel ancient, don't they? I think so


I'm shouting at clusterfuck chaos

trying to yell my way into order

and, y'know, there's some movement on the margins,

I think that's what that is,

so I scan with binoculars


but the binoculars are some kind of teleportation device


and I'm just right there in the swirling mess

my extras are chanting and clanging their weapons

horses rearing up

I flinch at hooves that narrowly miss coming down on my head

people are playfighting

but there's this tendency of the really ambitious ones

to wound themselves

just a little

to hardsell the action

Mr. Director Man'll take notice, remember our devotion, give us a come up on the next show, an extra gets promoted to a supporting actor, one day summit into a lead,

and I'm like, "Hell, I had a few overly ambitious supporting players straight-up disembowel themselves on my last picture-you earn a hard passage on my ship-!"


-woowoowoowoooooo


-and right as it's all gettin' good to me

the air's thick with decapitated heads; 

folks're only too damn eager to get tangled up in barbed wire and dosed with mustard gas and glazed with napalm


-woowoowoowoooooo


-and right as it's gettin' good to me

this brindle pitbull comes bounding up to me, wooing like crazy,

stepping on my feet

like some toddler dancing with a grandparent

eyes at full puppy


-woowoowoowoooooo


-blood showers us-me and the dog-from several neck stumps

always a favorite bit

tho' admittedly I'm not usually in the thick of it like this


-blood from several neck stumps showers me and the dog

and now the pittie is licking its lips compulsively

flavor is in the air

pittie licks some gore from my hand

and that's when a mighty Valkyrie wanders over, says, "Who's the most perfect puppy? It's you!"

and she's using her sinewy hands to massage and scritch and scratch the pittie's short-haired body

a freshly decapitated post-apocalypse bandit squats down to offer his shredded neck stump as a chewy treat

soon enough

swordsmen and wizards and gladiators and radioactive biker gangs are all crowding towards the pittie,

offering pets and scratchies and belly rubs

and severed digits'n'limbs'n'coils of intestines as treats

and this great assemblage of cosplayers is suffused with a magnificent golden light

and I'm like,

"What, precisely, the fuck is happening?!"


but I'm being crowded away from the True Center

back beyond the periphery

I hold the binoculars up to my eyes

hoping to teleport

but all that happens now

is that the binoculars are now functioning merely as binoculars

allowing me a distant view of what looks like

uhhh

like a giant outdoor concert

like Woodstock or something

they've even converted the materials of several siege engines into a kind of stage

upon which that brindled pittie is wooing its little heart out

while all my extras are dancing with wild abandon

tearing their limbs outta sockets

twisting their heads around backwards

skeletons jumping outta bodies to jitter and gyrate wildly, flinging off muscle and guts;

blades and motorcycles mystically merge essences into new kinds of food processing apparatus consisting of whirling-vrooming sharpnesses that grind everybody up into premium canine chow


which the pittie gobbles with abandon

growing huge with its feasting

gnawing every last bone down to the oh-so-suckable marrow

-did you notice that it's wearing a new sweater that someone knitted for it,so cute-

the pittie just grows and swells

wooing ecstatic joyous gluttony

'til it, too, explodes

loosing a hot meaty wind

that scours the flesh from my bones

my agony is so supreme

that the gods simply discharge all spiritual duties and burdens and fast track me through hell

back into the world of the living

where I spend six months fighting being locked out of the editing suite by the producers


-and then I just let it go

'cause movies are a pain in the ass

and I'm lucky to have any ass left