Saturday, December 30, 2023

THE NEW DREAM #22:

 

In the New Dream


robots disguised as this or that nation state

all looking at me

peeping in my windows

clogging my email spam filters

trafficking counterfeit Fuller Brushes

I ask ‘em why they go to the trouble

we’re all robots here

no need to put on costumes and stuff


and then


I’m watching a TV program

about the renewing powers of ritual

I don’t like it

I yell at the screen

I breathe fire all over the emptiness and arbitrariness and tediousness of ritual


of course


the learned presenter on the screen

knows I’m right

knows I can’t go unpunished

fixes me with a basilisk glare

the walls around me fly away

steroid abusers in matching uniforms rush in from all sides

to pound and pummel me

the whole thing live streamed


you see


we go through this rigmarole

same time every year


and then


after a break


I spend the rest of my 360

as a freelance nation state

pulling on the guise of this or that robot

peeping in people’s online transaction spheres

playing impromptu synth sax instrumental cover versions

of whatever national anthems

I think will lure people out of their bunkers

into a corny old dark forest

of fairy tale’n’myth

where we can all go crazy

tear off our job selves

all for a crisp monthly fee

live it up

before the work maw

gobbles up every last morsel 

of you

and me

not even bloody skeletons left

which is impressive


at some point


another Orson Welles shows up


and eats-