Sunday, December 25, 2022

BURNING QUESTIONS IN A UNIVERSE OF MYSTERY #25:


-estly, Larry, all I need is someone to show up with a man-portable gatling gun and spray down the whole mise-en-scene and that's good enough for me, I do not require that the aggression in cinema be relegated to mere subtext-


But I had a question for you.


Did you see, uh, did you ever see The Chevy Chase Show? Like just the first episode, okay-and I know, I knoooow that people have all these-what?-opinions? About Chevy Chase. People have opinions. People have every kinda-you know-sentiments or whatever about the guy-and I don't, like, have an opinion any kinda way. You know me, Larry, I'm not the opinion guy in your life, haven't been that, not gonna start now, okay-


-but did you see The Chevy Chase Show? Just, like, the first episode? It's fine. They got cartoons. They do a news desk thing-which is what everybody started doing, right? Colbert, Stewart, Myers, the British fella on pay cable-they owe their livelihoods to Chevy, okay, maybe they should bring back, y'know, as a guest this man they're all indebted to, 'cause, y'know, I'd like to think, oh I dunno, that gratitude, all right, that just a little bit of gratitude never goes out of fashion, but I'm wrong about things. I can admit it-


-but that first episode . . . it's just fine. It's watchable. Watchable is the word of-it's the word I would use. Watchable is our watchword regarding the matter at hand.


But then something wonderful happens.


Something just, uh, totally wonderful!


Now, I don't want to minimize the aspect of watchability with what all I'm about to say-but it must be said: many aspects. Okay. Many. Aspects. Watchability is but one, okay, but one. And then, uh, uh, there's this aspect of the wonderful, okay, just trying to flag that up a bit-


Goldie Hawn. Okay. Goldie Hawn makes the scene. Or is it, merely, the sunrise after the dark night of the soul? You tell me the difference, Larry. Okay. 'Cause I'm not sure there is a difference. Goldie Hawn is, uh, she's Chevy Chase's first real guest, and, ah, I think that, in a weird, messed-up way-like if you start with the blazing sun, all right, if you begin with light and love . . . I mean just sit with that.


So, here's my question, Larry:


If we begin by being bathed in the light of the sun, are we not fated to spend the rest of our days marching ever deeper into a forest of night? 


I kinda think we are, but I don't know. How could I know? So I ask you.


Will you answer?


Or, have I misjudged you?


Are you, Larry, are you but another mystery-monger like the rest of us?


Not to be rude . . . but I'm gonna insist upon staying on the line for this answer . . .