Monday, December 5, 2022

THE NEW DREAM #8:


Orson Welles

head gripped all 'round by shadows

in the full Arkadin Claus getup

glowering down at me

I'm the low angle cameramind, I guess

his eyes glint'n'squint

mouth moves

no sound

his eyes dart away from me

a Proustian something-or-other hooking up out of the moment

lips moving

jumpcut

he's staring at me full-on

I-the cameramind-am repositioned to reframe Welles for a direct address to the audience

still in the full Arkadin Claus getup

but with a skyblue painted backdrop

some kind of goofy glittering ocean effect cast across his body and half his face

maybe he's trying on Moby-Dick as Ahab Arkadin Claus

his eyes slitted, mouth moving

stops

eyes look to a middle distance

then a line comes to him

now he's staring straight into me again

says,

and the sound is just slightly off

says,

"My dear boy, do you know the way to the sardine's funeral?"

no discernible answer

he raises his brows

says,

"I believe your line is, 'Why isn't that in Sardinia, sir?' "

his face mellows into a giddy smile,

audio cuts out

just before his laughter