Friday, August 16, 2024

THE NEW DREAM #30:


apocalypse

store


you 

fall 

into 

it


find out if you have the will


to resist


your heart’s most corrupt desire


that weapon system that won’t just shut up your neighbor


it’ll burn the very Platonic ideal form of neighbor right out of the fabric of reality


that cataclysmic impulse buy


can you fight it


BECAUSE IT IS HERE

IN YOUR FACE

WITHIN YOUR GRASP


ALL IT COSTS


IS EVERYTHING


And then no more worries about neighbors ever again


but then it hits you


maybe your neighbor bought that weapon system first


zapped you


and you’ve just been obliviously burning in Hell all this time


would explain that Heat Dome that’s all in the news of late


wouldn’t that be some shit


and if you’re actually already in Hell


a place of torment, of thwarted dreams


then this apocalypse store is just a devil’s trick,


right?


and even if you buy that weapons system


your neighbor down here is surely just another illusion


just a cardboard Hogan’s Alley pop-up target


so you may as well save your money


buy some of that really fancy hot sauce


Hell of all places has gotta have really good hot sauce


pretty much markets itself


“Try Lucifer’s Glory Hawt Sauce on your wings, on your French fries, on your lasagna, on your cheeseburger, on your farfalle, on your neighbor-on your EVERYTHING!”


give me that marketing account


a job of peddling illusions


in a burning kingdom of lies


y’know


Hell is kinda cool


in how it all makes sense


has that Infernal Synergy working for it


I think I’ll get used to it


-at this point I arrive as the voracious guest of honor: THE CHAMPEEN HAWT WING GOBBLER OF ALL TIMES!!! Beelzebub announces me with Its loudass millions of pairs of wings. I stride into the spotlight. House lights come up to full, a nuclear white blaze. I see that I’m at the foot of an Everest of fried chicken skin doused in Lucifer’s Glory. I get to gobbling. A good chunk of the footage has been edited for content (a sequence where I have some salad was deemed inappropriate for carnivorous cacodemons) and to fit into the prime time slot. So it jump cuts to me melting down as I vomit up a fountain of acid reflux all over myself-which is the part everyone remembers, so it’s fine.