Monday, July 24, 2023

THE NEW DREAM #16:


Fell asleep with the TV on

Letterman says,

"Hey, folks, it's a stressful time here. On this show. In the nation at large. And we don't know what the future may hold. But I will promise you this. Straight from the heart. My heart, for what that's worth. Probably needs a little more work done on it. But we're all works-in-progress, right? Sure. But I promise you this. No matter how things play out, we will always-always-be making plenty of Buttafuocco in the back seat of the white Ford Bronco-that's a promise from me to you-Buttafuocco for all! While supplies last."


Mock patriotic theme from Paul and the band.


I open my eyes just in time to see Letterman standing at attention, hand over his heart, studio audience cheering.


TV's got picture-in-picture function. In the smaller picture, I can see Charles Grodin's glowering face. The smaller picture assumes a larger and larger size 'til all is the Glower of Grodin.


Something something

O.J. verdict

Grodin's not getting any happier

It must be the end of history

Jovial comic movie actor guy's got a deadly serious commentary show on cable

Grodin's not having any of that back seat Buttafuocco

Even Letterman cites 'while supplies last'

Which they don't

Every bond breaks

Was there ever any history to end in the first place?