Thursday, November 24, 2022

THE NEW DREAM #5:


I was too shitfaced to drive to Waffle House

so I walked across the highway to IHOP

even tho' I'd pooped my pants just a little bit

not a lotta bit

but they know me at Waffle House

if I come in smelling wrong

I'd never live it down


in the IHOP

sits one man

no one else is there

I ask the one man

who is just staring at a plate of pristine pancakes

if I'm too early

he shakes his head

I guess that's no


I ask him if he's going to eat those pancakes

he looks up at me

says,

"I've disrupted pancakes."

I'm like what

"I've disrupted pancakes."

I don't know what that is

"These are verified pancakes. The kitchen has to pay a monthly fee."

I'm like the kitchen workers paid for the pancakes

"No. I fired all the workers. The kitchen paid to verify these pancakes."

someone's in the kitchen-

"No. The kitchen paid. I disrupted . . . I . . . I was a man of science. I . . . placed a very high value on truth. But . . . I . . . I swear I disrupted that kitchen. And these pancakes. I swear."

I go into the kitchen area

it's a fuckin' mess

a real home economics disaster zone

I go back to the guy

"You see now. I never made anything in my life. But I made these pancakes. I . . . disrupted . . ."

and then he clamps his hands over his mouth

I thought he was gonna vomit

but the guy just starts screaming and sobbing and gibbering into his hands

he doesn't do a very good job of keeping a lid on his shit

but it's the tears coming out of his eyes that gets me

that makes me wanna hitchhike to Waffle House

but I just can't stop watching this guy lose his mind

there's a surprising amount of entertainment value going on here

but the guy spends himself

he takes his hands off his mouth

he gestures vaguely at me with his hand

"So. You know this place. You see how we've improved upon it. How we've disrupted it. Ah-heh. You wanna come work for me?"

like a job

"Sure. Why not?"

you mean like in the kitchen-

"No. The kitchen's already working. I want to hire you . . . to do my crying."

I'm like-


-but then he's just howling with laughter

and slamming his forehead down again and again shattering the plate of pancakes with his skull

shouting

"DISRUPT!DISRUPT!DISRUPT!HOO-HOO!COO-CHOO!DISRUPT!DISRUPT!"


-and I got the fuck outta there

walked all the way to Waffle House

which wasn't that far

actually