Sunday, September 11, 2022

POETIC VIDEO GAME REVIEW #32: WILD GUNS SNES (1995)

 


Hectic gunfire celebration

Inside a science fiction Wild West

Like that old TV show

That got adapted into a Will Smith movie with the music video?

Sort of anticipating the anime Spaceghetti Western cycle

Of Outlaw Star, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop,

That kinda thing I guess,

Satisfying gameplay,

I dart back and forth across the foreground

Zapping Enemy in the middle and backgrounds,

Makes me feel like a real action person,

Hordes of hired guns and automated drone assets, 

Impressive mixture of meats and robos,

Good coordination of flesh and steel assets on the part of Enemy,

But, alas, I have Protagonist Mojo,

Therefore, even though I'm just one Space Cowboy, I get to spray'n'waste hordes of outlaw mercenaries,

I almost feel bad,

But I got freeze lassos,

Nonlethal, I think,

So, this game could have had a No Kill route,

But this was SNES Time, a less sophisticated era, therefore I must massacre,

But Enemy is hyper-aggressive, heavily armed, a military outfit, essentially, a rogue steampunk militia, complete with bigass mechs and well funded by a Final Boss who lives among Scrooge McDuck mountains of gold-

-so light 'em up, Space Cowboy, to the last drone, to the last man,

But no,

About the lasso,

Like you throw the lasso and it induces a quick acting cryonic effect, but it's only temporary, just buys you some time to manage the onslaught from the rest of the screen,

And you've got a limited supply of screen clearing bombs that most folks'll try to conserve for the Boss Fights,

That's what I did,

Oh, but there's this one thing,

A guy with a big knife keeps walking up to me on my plane, and the game will only let me club him with my assault rifle, it won't let me shoot him dead, I guess 'cause he's got a knife and not a gun, but I wish I could shoot his stupid head off, 'cause knife dude keeps coming back for more, a real slasher movie villain that one,

And,

you know,

This might sound demanding,

But it's nowhere near the difficulty of, say, a Contra game,

It's borderline chill,

I play it at least twice a year, just to relax, just to savor the flavor of cozy massacre-

I do the same thing with Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest, another absorbing yet undemanding SNES title-

-May 2022